Friday, April 1, 2011

A life ended today...

My Grandmother passed away today. She was 92 years old, so it's not like it was unexpected. To be honest - either I'm really insensitive or it just hasn't really sunk in yet - but I'm just not feeling that sad. I do feel relieved for her to be at peace and no longer suffering now. I have spent the last 24 hours poring over old photos and family history-type stuff, and reflecting on her life - a long, full one. My Grandfather, her husband, used to write poems constantly. Here's one of my favorites, that he wrote about her:
How clearly I remember
When I first saw your face.
It was early in September,
I still recall the place.

It was at your Daddy's drug store
In that small Ohio town.
I was deep in love before
I even put my old bike down.

I knew, when first I saw you,
You simply had to be
The only girl in all the world
To spend her life with me.

I've failed you many times, babe;
But you never did complain.
If you had another go at it,
Would you marry me again?

We've had happy times and sad times,
But, this I know is true:
I'll always and forever
Keep right on loving you.

How can you be sad for a person who lived a life in which she was so loved? Although I am admittedly quite skeptical about the possibility of an afterlife, if it's possible, I hope they really are together now. I know she's missed him a lot for a long time.

................................................................................................................................


*Bonus extra poem: while I have Grandpa's poems in front of me, let me share one more of my favorites (written about yours truly):
A ray of love from heaven
Beamed down upon our hearts,
And gave to us a gift of love
That only God imparts.

A little bit of starlight
Conveyed in human form,
A lovely little baby girl,
All thanks to Him, was born.

Of all the things He's done for us,
Believe me, there are many,
The sweetest thing of all must be
His gift to us of Jenny.

1 comment:

  1. Awww! You are a true gift, Jenny (-: I have to say, I'm never really sad when elderly people die. Especially when they lived a long, full life. Maybe that makes me insensitive, but death is the only certainty in life. His poems are great!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments even more than chocolate... so leave me some!