Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A week at the beach - Outer Banks, NC - Oct. 2012


Bear with me here, I'm catching up.

My kids got to see the ocean for the first time in October.  It was wonderful.  We went to the Outer Banks with my parents and my aunt, and we shared a house right on the oceanfront that would have cost $3800 a week if we'd have gone in the middle of summer during the busy season... but which only cost $1200 a week (which we then split three ways) during the off season.  Boom, suddenly a beach trip became feasible!  The weather was a bit chilly and rainy the first two days, but it was absolutely perfect for the rest of the week, with temps in the upper 70's/low 80's. 

Home sweet home for a week

Text from my mom:  "I am Sheldon and have picked my spot.  The yellow chair is mine."

Our room.  Aaaaahhh, I LOVE sleeping to the sound of the ocean!

The top deck offered lovely views.

Our view...
 



There was lots of room underneath the house for bike/motorcycle riding.

And the boys enjoyed riding on the boardwalk between the house & beach as well.
 


My mom kept us well-nourished all week.  :)

Bug & Grandpa enjoying a laugh over breakfast

Monkey, explaining his DS game to Aunt Nan-Nan

We saw some gorgeous sunrises...

sunsets...
...and moonrises.

And we also saw dolphins swimming by in the mornings!

Dolphins

You can just barely see... but there are two dolphins out there.

Dolphin

We did a family project of making tie-dye shirts.

The kiddos thought this was very cool!

Finished products...



And then we took some family pics in our awesome creations!





And of course, there was LOTS and LOTS of water & sand play...

Seeing the ocean for the first time


Shane caught a crab and put it in a bucket for the boys to examine up close.














It's a mer-boy!
 

Saying "Goodbye Ocean!" on the last day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments even more than chocolate... so leave me some!