Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hiking Highlights - Goodyear Heights

Goodyear Heights Metro Park, 10/30/2011

This was the first time we'd ever been to this park, and I have to be honest - although it was nice, it was my least favorite of the ones we've visited so far.  There are houses all around the edges of the park, and you are pretty close to them at many points on the trail.  It just doesn't give you that feeling of being secluded and surrounded by nature that is my favorite part of the experience at other parks.  That said, we did have a nice time.  We brought along my husband's BFF's son, P., who my boys always enjoy hanging out with.  I love that this little group of boys, ages 2, 5, and 10 can play together and be buddies, despite their broad range in ages.

Alder Trail marker

Monkeyman and P. making me nervous


I know of trees around Ohio that were twisted, bent, and/or knotted by the Native Americans as signal trees.  This tree doesn't look old enough to be one of those, but I have to wonder if human hands didn't have something to do with its funny shape.

The park has a large marshy area with a long boardwalk running through it, which all of the kids liked.  At the end of the boardwalk is an observation deck with great views of the whole marsh.  (I didn't get a chance to take a pic from up there though, because I had to chase Little Bug.)

Great pic of the boys  :)

Monkeyman found this natural hiking stick somewhere along the path.

When Bug got tired of walking, P. volunteered to carry him for a while.  I sure do like having him around!

...but eventually, P. got tired of carrying Bug.

I like this one, even though it's blurry.


Okay, I've only got one more hike to report on and then I'll share an update of what we've been doing lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments even more than chocolate... so leave me some!