Monday, January 24, 2011

Awkward conversation that I had tonight

I recently became a consultant for a company called Usborne Books & More (if you are not familiar with their books, they are FANTASTIC! Check them out here.), and I was working a book fair at an elementary school. Afterward, I happened to be walking out at the same time as the principal and we were chatting:

Principal: Do you have any children in school?
Me: I have a 1-year-old and an almost 5-year-old.
Principal: Oh, so the 5-year-old will be starting kindergarten.
Me: Well no, actually we are going to be homeschooling.
Principal: Oh.
*sound effect of crickets chirping*

And that was the end of the conversation. It was a tad awkward - I had to chuckle on the way to my car. Whenever I come out of the educational closet to someone, I always want to throw in, "But I'm not doing it for religious reasons! I'm not one of those "The earth is 6,000 years old" type of homeschoolers! I'm not one of them! I love science and reason!" I feel like that is the general perception of homeschoolers, and while I know there are indeed many who do fit into that category, I am really hoping to find some who are more like-minded to me. I will expand my thoughts on the subject sometime soon, but I'm not quite ready to come out of the spiritual closet yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments even more than chocolate... so leave me some!